Lilypie 5th Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, January 19, 2012

NT Screening 1-3-12

Tuesday was our NT Screening and it was probably the best appointment we've had.  The tech was so nice and funny too.  As soon as she started the ultrasound we saw our little baby bouncing up and down. It was cute!  He/she looked like they were having a lot of fun in there. 

What is an NT screening?  This prenatal test (also called the NT or nuchal fold scan) can help your health care practitioner assess your baby's risk of having Down syndrome (DS) and some other chromosomal abnormalities as well as major congenital heart problems.

The NT test uses
ultrasound to measure the clear (translucent) space in the tissue at the back of your developing baby's neck. Babies with abnormalities tend to accumulate more fluid at the back of their neck during the first trimester, causing this clear space to be larger than average

Baby measured 12 weeks 3 days which was right on track from the previous ultrasound at my OB's office.  Heartbeat: 154 (again right on track with scan 2 weeks prior).  She started the screening and said that the space behind the neck needed to be under 3mm.  Our baby was 1.5mm which is awesome.  We have a very low chance of Downs or any chromosomal issues. (the test cannot provide 100% accuracy but results are pretty good)

It was comforting to see the baby and hear his/her heartbeat.  The sex is still unknown but the tech seemed to think it is a girl.  We would LOVE another girl but it would be AWESOME to have a boy too.  I know people say this all of the time but honestly we just want to give birth to a happy, healthy, baby.  Boy or girl really doesn't matter to us.

Lately I have been having mild cramping especially around my hip area.  I have read that this is pretty normal but of course I still don't feel 100% secure. I wonder if I will ever be. 

Tomorrow I will be 13 weeks. This has been the longest 3 months of my life!  Time goes by so slowly when you are counting each day.  My next appt is Thursday January 19th.

No comments:

Post a Comment